Tuesday, January 27, 2015
“It’s not anybody’s business that I am not married. My fans know that I’m happy. Whether I am married or not, I am a happy woman,”
“Of course, na God dey give person man. The day God will give me a man, I’ll let you people know and will invite you to my wedding. If the man comes my way and he’s the right person, why not, I will marry him. For now Jehovah, the King of kings, is the man in my life. I am married to Jesus.”
Saudi Arabia on Monday executed a man convicted of raping several girls in a case that has captured the kingdom's attention and marks the first beheading carried out under the newly enthroned King Salman.
The Interior Ministry said Moussa al-Zahrani was executed in the city of Jiddah. The ministry statement, carried by the official Saudi Press Agency, said al-Zahrani was convicted of luring underage girls, intoxicating them, forcing them to watch pornographic videos and then physically and sexually assaulting them.His alleged victims were children assaulted in 2011 in a string of attacks in Jiddah.
The case has caused a stir on social media which is unusual in Saudi Arabia for cases of violent crimes — in part because the father of 6,al-Zahrani claimed his innocence throughout the trial and two later appeals.
Last year, al-Zahrani appealed in a 20-minute video for Saudi King Abdullah, who died on Friday, to intervene. In the widely-viewed video, the 45-year-old Arabic teacher claimed he was framed by police and that a man , a neighbor of 10 years who accused him of molesting his daughter was also a police investigator in the case
An Arabic hashtag on Twitter, 'We are all Moussa al-Zahrani' garnered thousands of comments by Saudis with conflicting opinions over the case.
Al-Zahrani's relatives have appeared on Saudi talk shows, saying the case was riddled with inconsistencies and that the judiciary did not weigh all the evidence. They claimed a medical report found the neighbour's ten-year-old daughter had not been assaulted and that several cases of assault against young girls took place in Jeddah while al-Zahrani was already jailed.
Speaking after the execution, his brother, Hassan al-Zahrani said hat his brother could not have committed the crimes he was convicted of.
Al-Zahrani was one of 11 people beheaded in Saudi Arabia so far this year. Saudi Arabia executed 87 people last year, up from 78 in 2013.
The execution of al-Zahrani follows the public beheading of a woman which was filmed in secret and leaked online. Layla bint Abdul Mutaleb Bassim, convicted of raping and murdering her six-year-old stepdaughter, was heard screaming her innocence in graphic footage of the execution.
Former Nigerian International goalkeeper, Wilfred Agbonavbare has reportedly lost his battle with cancer. The ex-Rayo Vallecano goalkeeper who had been receiving treatment at a Spanish hospital was said to have died today January 27th in Spain. He was 48 years old.
Agbonavbare, who was a member of Nigeria’s U-21 Mexico 1983 Flying Eagles, lost his wife three years ago to breast cancer. May his soul rest in peace, Amen.
payment of $100, 000 as ransom for the release of its 15-year-old victim, Precious Okoro.
The victim’s father, Nwaigwe, explained that Precious was kidnapped around Songotedo, in the Ajah area of Lagos State, where she had boarded a commercial vehicle en route to her school in Ikenne, Ogun State.
He said he never knew his daughter had been abducted until two weeks later when the school management contacted him to say Precious had not reported in school.
He explained that he reported the matter to the police at the Ajah Police Division, where he was asked to exercise patience. He said the cops initially thought she fled to a boyfriend’s house.
Nwaigwe, a trader, said he was later contacted by the kidnappers, who informed him that his daughter was in Niamey, the Niger Republic capital.He said,
“My daughter, who was on holiday, was returning to her school in Ikenne Communty College, Ikene, Ogun State. On Sunday, May 25, 2014, she boarded a bus at the motor park in my presence and I bid her farewell.
I thought she was already in school until the principal called me and said the school was about writing exams and nobody knew her whereabouts.“I quickly informed the police at Ajah, and the Divisional Police Officer told me to be calm and wait because it was possible she went to a boyfriend’s house and they probably wanted to fleece me.
One fateful morning in August, I saw an international line and the kidnappers said they were calling from Niamey in the Niger Republic, adding that if I wanted to see my daughter alive, I should pay them $100,000.”
The Ohaozara, Ebonyi State indigene said he did not take the callers serious, until he heard the distressed voice of his daughter, who told him they were indeed in Niger Republic and that the bus she boarded that day was owned by the kidnappers.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the victim’s father began to receive repeated calls from the kidnappers, who later asked him to deposit an initial sum of $30,000.
“I told them to send me an account number, and they sent an Ecobank account number belonging to one Nwachukwu Daniel. I did not have the money they requested and I contacted the police for help, but I was asked to still exercise patience.After some weeks, they called again and I asked for another account number. They sent a Diamond Bank account number.They were using different international lines to call. They used about 15 different numbers to call us,” he added.PUNCH Metro learnt that the police later decided to use a decoy to get some of the kidnappers arrested.
A police source said one of the female officers disguised as a girlfriend of one of the kidnappers and called one of the international lines.After a few weeks of telephone conversations, the kidnapper-lover invited his lady to Niger Republic.
“He sent someone to bring her and detectives trailed her and monitored their calls. They were able to arrest a suspect, who, however, denied knowing anything about the kidnapping, but said he sometimes overheard the victim’s father conversing with the ‘lover’.”The matter was said to have been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba, when there was no further breakthrough in the case.Our correspondent gathered that the police decided to work on the three account numbers sent to the victim’s family.
A source told PUNCH Metro that the numbers led the police to different states in the country.
“It was discovered that one of the account numbers was opened at Idumota, Lagos State, and when the police got there, they were told the owner was in Niger Republic.“Another account number led the police to Onitsha, Anambra State, and when they investigated, they discovered that the owner had earlier been arrested by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad in Onitsha and had been killed. The N200, 000 the victim’s father paid into the account was stuck because the suspect did not collect it before he died.”Our correspondent was told that the police, however, arrested a sister of the suspect living in Aba, Abia State, who had been collecting money paid into a Diamond Bank account number opened in the state.
The girl was said to have admitted that the account belonged to her brother, who was sending money into it and giving her instructions on how the funds should be distributed among the family members.
A source said the girl had been arrested with two other suspects.The victim’s father, Nwaigwe, said the matter had been referred to the Federal Criminal Investigation Department, Alagbon, Lagos.
It was learnt that the police had not been able to do anything due to lack of funds.
“The police have gone far on this case and needed funds to get those rogues arrested. There is still hope of getting the girl safe home,” a source said.The Police Public Relations Officer, Kenneth Nwosu, said he would call back, but had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.
The man, it was gathered, had on many occasions threatened to kill his father before he finally cut him down while he was preparing to attend an elders’ meeting in the community. According to eyewitnesses, Chinedu, a father of three, had perfected his evil plans, enquiring from his family members around when they would be going out for the day, apparently to enable him enough time to perpetrate the evil act.
After murdering his father, the suspect was said to have vowed to kill his mum and other members of the household. The desperate cries of neighbors, it was gathered, saved the others from being killed, as youths in the community rushed to the scene and prevented the young man from completing his mission.An eyewitness who spoke to Daily Sun said Chinedu had on several occasions chased his father about with a sharp cutlass, threatening to cut short his life but had always been prevented by the youths around. His grouse, it was gathered, was that his father was the cause of his misfortune.
According to Mr Chukwuma Nwoye, a nephew to the deceased, the killer-son would have terminated his father’s life long ago if not for the timely intervention of the youths around. He disclosed that the suspect had threatened to kill him that morning if he had attempted to rescue the deceased. Nwoye said the deceased had no issues with his son before he was murdered.
“The deceased was my uncle. They were all living in the northern part of Nigeria when the boy became a Muslim. He equally married a Muslim. But he had been acting funny in recent times. He was even sent to South Africa by his family to make his life better. He was asked to do whatever he could do to make his life better, but he joined a gang of smokers. Since he came back, he had been exhibiting funny traits. He often chased his father about with a sharp cutlass to kill him. He had done that not less than four times. The last time he did that, we went and bought him this drug I have in my hand to see if that could get him back to his senses, because we thought; maybe he had some infections in the brain. In fact, he had even threatened to kill me if I drew near to prevent him from killing his father. He was wielding a very sharp machete. And one thing is that they were not having any issues or quarrel before.”Another nephew to the deceased, Mr Chibuzo Chukwuemeka, said the suspect was a chronic Indian hemp smoker and had been behaving abnormally since he returned from Maiduguri where the family was living before. He said although the boy had no quarrel with his father, he had been behaving abnormally since he converted to Islam in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
“I came back from Lagos and this morning I was already on my way to board a vehicle back to Lagos when I received an emergency call to return. On coming back, I was informed that my uncle had been slaughtered by his son. Before I got home, he had died. The boy ran upstairs and locked himself up in the room and refused to open it until the police arrived and forced the door open. They got him arrested and then they took him to the police station. The deceased was equally taken to the mortuary.None of his immediate family members could speak to this reporter as they were visibly in shock, even as the deceased’s wife was said to have been taken to her family house for safety as at the time of filing this report.
“The boy converted to Islam in Maiduguri in the North East. He equally married an Hausa woman in the north and they have three children. So when he came back home, his attitude had changed. He is the fourth son of his family. He smokes Indian hemp, and the villagers had told of how he used to chase everybody about with a sharp cutlass. And he had been threatening to kill his father. This is the fourth time he was chasing his father about with cutlass, and finally he had succeeded in killing him.”
Chairman of Urum Central Vigilante, Mr Alexander Nwafor spoke with Daily Sun on the issue. He said:
“This morning, the town crier had sent a message for a meeting at Igwe’s Palace and we were all headed to the place. Suddenly, we started hearing a loud cry from the deceased’s house. When we got to the house it was horrible. The scene is better seen than told. The young man butchered his father and we thank God the police came in time. If not, many people may have gone down as well.
“He behaves like someone who is insane because he smokes Indian hemp. He had been threatening to kill his father every day. He kept saying he would kill his father. The worst part of it is that barely two minutes after he had killed his father, he told his mother that it was her turn to be slaughtered as well. In fact, when we arrived, he was threatening to kill any of us who came near him.”But when contacted on the telephone, the Anambra State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Uche Eze said he was yet to be briefed on the murder. “I am not aware of that. It has not been reported to me. I’m just coming out from the usual Monday morning briefing.”