Maureen Renfro's Blog: A Japanese Girl Kidnapped & Gang rape in Eastern India

Sunday, January 4, 2015

A Japanese Girl Kidnapped & Gang rape in Eastern India

The 23-year-old woman was lured to a house near a Buddhist shrine in Bihar state in November by a tour guide, where she says she was raped by five men. After a month, the men are said to have taken her for medical treatment in a nearby town where she escaped and made her way to Calcutta.

Five Indian men have been arrested in connection with the alleged abduction and gang rape. This
includes tour guide brothers Sajid Khan, 32, and his 25-year-old brother Jawed Khan, police deputy superintendent Alok Kumar Singh said. Pallav Kanti Ghosh, a Calcutta police commissioner, told the BBC:

‘One of the men spoke very fluent Japanese. They said: “We are guides and want to take you sight-seeing.” They took her to Digha (a beach resort) on 23 November. There they sexually assaulted her and robbed her of 76,000 rupees [£1,200] using her ATM card.’

DailyMail adds that the Japanese tourist was held hostage at gunpoint in an underground room close to the shrine from, according to a preliminary investigation by detectives. Three weeks later she was taken to Gaya, a larger town 10 miles away, for medical treatment, where she escaped.

She made her way to Calcutta and sought help at the Japanese consulate on December 26. The Bodh Gaya complex is home to one of the earliest Buddhist temples still standing in India and attracts visitors from all over the world.

India has faced intense scrutiny over its efforts to curb violence against women following the fatal gang rape of a medical student on a bus in Delhi in 2012. Since then, several attacks on foreign women have also been reported, including that of a 51-year-old Danish tourist who was robbed and gang raped at knife-point in Delhi last January.

A Swiss cyclist holidaying in central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh was robbed and gang raped by five men, all of whom were later sentenced to life sentences. Yesterday two police officers were on the run after allegedly abducting and gang raping a 14-year-old girl at their police station on New Year’s Eve. Constables Veer Pal Singh Yadav and Avnish Yadav were suspended before absconding from the police station in Badaun, Uttar Pradesh.

Badaun, located in Uttar Pradesh’s Bareilly region, gained notoriety last year after two girls were found hanging from a tree in a village amid reports they had been gang-raped and murdered. In November investigators concluded that the girls had committed suicide, however many have disputed this explanation.